Building a home can be one of the biggest purchases of your life. When you have planned to build a home you need to be sure to have the best home builder in the state. You cannot afford to compromise on building your home to a sub standard contractor. A good builder possesses the ability to build a great home even from B Grade materials. Today the as many states are fraught with building defects homeowners are screaming over bad construction. If possible, you should actively take part in the process yourself.
Seek advice before you act
Before you hire a builder for your home do a little market research. Ask others for advice and you may come up with a better option. Try to dig up answers by the following methods.
- Ask the non competitors for advice, professionals are aware of the latest happening in the market and they would know who the best builder in the state is.
- Subcontractors such as painters, plumbers and foundation crews have worked with many different builders. They would know who likes to take shortcuts and who follows the plans. Also it would be better to known the builder who pays his labor on time to avoid any strikes that may be a cause of delays in building your home.
- Ask suppliers for their advice on finding a good builder. Companies who supply building materials are quite knowledgeable about the traits of builders.
If you have found a builder who you think would be suitable, look at a work in progress. The quality of the work would give you a fair idea of how your house would be in the hands of this builder.
Analyze a good builder by a simple questionnaire
There are many great builders who make great homes. Hiring a good builder can save you not only money but also the fatigue and anguish you may face after the project is completed. Analyze the following factors before finalizing which builder to hire.
- Is the builder a license holder?
- How long has he been professionally building homes?
- When was the company founded?
- How many successful projects he has to present?
An unlicensed builder should be treated as alarm. It might be a possibility that he does not comply with the rules or he might not have the required experience. Such a person or company should never be given the task to build your home. Your hard earned money should not be wasted on cheap builders who are all talk and no action. Homeowners have had many surprises when they hired cheap or inexperienced builders. Many buildings started showing long cracks up the walls. The house started falling apart and leaks sprung up in different pipes. Although you can sue the builder for claims but the agony and fighting in courts would not only cost you more money but also waste your time.